Mar 27, 2023 | Town of Sunset Beach, Community Info/Events, Newsletter
Sunset Vision raised the funds in 2019 to buy four beach “All Terrain” wheelchairs and donated them to the Town of Sunset Beach. The Town rents these wheel chairs at a very nominal rate for citizens and visitors with disabilities so that they can enjoy our beautiful beach. The wheelchairs feature heavy duty wheels, non-corrosive plastic bearings, 2 swivel and 2 rigid wheels, padded cushion seat, user-friendly folding footrest, and an umbrella. They are manufactured by MJM international and are made from healthcare grade polymer plastic to inhibit/control the growth of bacteria. They are lead and latex free. To reserve a chair for use during a visit to Sunset Beach, please call Town Hall at 910-579-6297. For more information about the wheelchairs and Sunset Vision click Past Projects | Beach Accessible Wheelchairs
Jun 10, 2022 | Health & Safety Resource Committee, Town of Sunset Beach, Newsletter
The Sunset Beach Town Hall has a receptacle in their foyer where residents can drop off un-used and un-wanted prescription & over-the-counter medicines and is available for collections Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm while the building is open to the public. Please note they cannot accept needles, injectables, or any radioactive or chemotherapy medication. Operation Medicine Drop medication disposal locator tool – https://www.ncosfm.gov/community-risk-reduction/operation-medicine-drop
May 31, 2022 | Town of Sunset Beach, Community Info/Events, Featured, Newsletter
Rip currents are the leading surf hazard for all beachgoers. The U.S. Lifesaving Association reports 80 percent of all surf rescues are related to rip currents. On many beaches, rip currents are present every day. In most cases, rip current speeds are too slow to be a danger to most swimmers. However, when wave conditions, shape of the offshore beach and tide elevation are just right, rip current speeds can reach speeds faster than Michael Phelps can swim.
Apr 22, 2022 | Town of Sunset Beach, Featured, Newsletter
Apr 18, 2022 | Town of Sunset Beach, Featured, Newsletter
In anticipation of the upcoming summer vacation season the Sunset Beach Police Department will be posting reminders on various Town of Sunset Ordinances. We’re sharing this information with hopes that while visiting our wonderful community fines aren’t incurred for violations. This week’s topic is LOW SPEED VEHICLES, by definition, any four-wheeled electric vehicle whose top speed is greater than 20 miles per hour but less than 25 miles per hour. Please keep the following in mind when operating any low-speed vehicle, like golf carts.
• At no time are golf carts and/or electric, battery operated vehicles allowed on the beach strand .. this includes all E-Bikes.
• Golf cart drivers must be at least 16yrs old and hold a valid driver’s license.
• Registered golf carts can be driven legally on the roadway (not the sidewalk) anywhere the posted speed is 35mph or less.
• All occupants must use seat belts. Young children must be in car and/or booster seats if applicable.
• Drivers must refrain from operating while under the influence of alcohol, and open containers must not be found inside one of these vehicles.
• Golf carts must be inspected and registered in North Carolina or by a state that has identical standards as North Carolina and equipped with the following:
Font and rears turn signals
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)