2021 Hurricane Season
June 1, 2021 to November 30, 2021
General Hurricane Information
- Thunderstorms, Hurricanes & Tornados Preparedness – click HERE to view detailed information.
- Brunswick County Hurricanes – click HERE to view.
- Brunswick Electric Storm Checklist – click HERE to view.
- Wilmington Weather Forecast Office – click HERE to view lasted briefings.
- The National Hurricane Center – click HERE to view (NHC Data is available from Apple & Google Play App Stores)
- Weather Any Storm – click HERE for the Weather Channel and hurricane safety information.
- ReadyNC.org – click HERE to view. (The ReadyNC mobile app is an all-in-one tool to help people get ready for everything from traffic jams to hurricanes and ice storms. The app gives information on real-time traffic and weather conditions, river levels, evacuations and power outages – click HERE to download App)
- Sunset Beach WebCam – click HERE to view “live” conditions.
- Weather Underground Hurricane – click HERE to view detailed information
Severe Storm/Hurricane Notifications
- CodeRED (Sign-up to receive Emergency Alerts) – Click HERE to sign-up.
- Town of Sunset Beach Notifications – To sign up for these, it is very easy. Just go to the Town website https://www.sunsetbeachnc.gov/ and at the bottom left of the Home page there is a aqua colored box entitled Email Sign Up. Give your name and email address and check if you want Meeting Notifications, Emergency Notifications or Both.
- Click HERE to view Town of Sunset Beach FACEBOOK page.
- Click HERE to view Sunset Beach Fire Department FACEBOOK page.
- Click HERE to view Sunset Beach Police Department FACEBOOK page.
- The American Red Cross of Eastern NC – click HERE to view hurricane alert skill via Alexa.
- Click HERE to view North Carolina’s electric cooperatives outages & safety
- FEMA – Download the FEMA mobile app for disaster resources, weather alerts, and safety tips. Available in English and Spanish, the app provides a customizable checklist of emergency supplies, maps of open shelters and recovery centers, disaster survival tips, and weather alerts from the National Weather Service.
- Flood Inundation Mapping and Alert Network – click HERE to receive flood alerts
- Hurricane Re-Entry Passes (Sunset Beach) – As of December 2018, the Town Council voted to revise the Hurricane Re-Entry Pass Program. Beginning in 2019, Mainland property owners will no longer be required to obtain Hurricane Re-Entry Passes. Hurricane Re-Entry Passes will be mailed annually to island property owners only. Town Hall staff will only distribute passes to new property owners and will require proof of the transfer of property.
- Brunswick County Emergency Services Center (910-253-5383 or email@example.com) – click HERE to view.
- Hurricane Evacuation Kit – click HERE to view
- Hurricane Preparedness Information – click HERE to view.
- Protect Your Home in a FLASH (Federal Alliance for Safe Homes) – click HERE to view.
- Great Hurricane Blowout – Help your family get ready for hurricane season (Kids Zone) – click HERE to view
- Pet Owners – Helpful Disaster Safety Tips – click HERE to view.
- Hurricane Evacuation Routes – click HERE to view.
- NC Department of Transportation (road updates) – click HERE to view.
- SC Department of Transportation (road updates) – click HERE to view.
- Emergency Shelter: Locate options by zip code by visiting the American Red Cross, or Salvation Army, or by texting SHELTER and your zip code (for example, “SHELTER 01234”) to 4FEMA (43362). (Standard text message rates apply.) You can also view a list of 7th District shelters by clicking HERE
After a Hurricane
- Refrigerated Food & Power Outages – click HERE to view.
- Disaster Relief – Use the address lookup on DisasterAssistance.gov to find out if you qualify for aid. Call 1-800-621-3362; those who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.
- FEMA – click HERE to view.