Now that more and more sea trailers are walking their dogs and also riding their bikes in good weather, it would be helpful if when you are on your bike and you come up behind someone walking their dog on the street that politely tell them “behind you”. With my Sea Trail dog sitting business (pawsitive posse), my team is finding this to be very worrisome because dogs panic at times with bikes. Sandy Reynolds
- New Website: We kicked off 2020 with a brand new website! The new site gives us plenty of tools to create a great user experience for all of our visitors, including online ticket ordering, membership forms, applications for art shows, a blog, event information, and pop-ups for special events and promotions. We’ve also included some new projects that are in the works! Take a look around! Browse the Site https://www.sunsetvision.org/
- New Project Highlight: Sustainable Garden Sunset Vision is working with Roy Pender of West Fourth Landscape Architecture in Southport to help us design a sustainable garden at the turtle sculpture installation by the gazebo on Sunset Beach. This project goes well beyond beautification of the 35′ x 45′ area. Read more https://www.sunsetvision.org/current-projects
- Grapevine Mediterranean Restaurant & Lounge Fundraising Event: We’re excited to partner with Grapevine Mediterranean Restaurant & Lounge for our 2nd Annual Fundraising Dinner to support Sunset Vision’s efforts to fund new and exciting gifts for our wonderful community. Join us on March 25, 2020. Learn more https://www.sunsetvision.org/grapevine-dinner
- Call for Artists for June 2020 Art Show & Sale: Our 4th Annual Art Show & Sale is set for June 18-20, 2020. Organized annually by Sunset Vision, the Art Show and Sale offers artists, patrons, and the public a chance to support and promote the arts in our community, and engage with the many talented artists in our area. Artists, apply online. The deadline is May 29, 2020. Click here https://www.sunsetvision.org/art-show-2020
Click HERE for all of the details! Please note: This offer expires March 29, 2020
The ALS Soup and Salad Benefit will be held on February 26th at the Pink Palace starting at 6:00 pm. A minimum donation of $15.00 is payable at the door. All proceeds go directly to the Jim Catfish Hunter Chapter of ALS in North Carolina. This is our 7th year and our team has raised over $40,000 to help find a cure for ALS. Soup, Salad, and Desserts will be sampled from our wonderful Sea Trail Cooks and prizes will be awarded to the best soup and salad. A 50/50 drawing will also be drawn. Additional volunteers are needed, so if you have a favorite soup or salad please call Anita Clark at 575-1049 and I will answer any questions you might have. Thank You!
A new GriefShare session is being held at the Seaside United Methodist Church (1300 Seaside Road, Sunset Beach, NC) beginning February 7, 2020 and ends May 8, 2020. These sessions are from 1:00 – 3:30 PM. Registration begins at 1:00 pm with the session beginning at 1:15 pm. There is $20 charge for the Seminar Booklet, which is provided. If you have lost a loved one, you may benefit from this 13 week support group. This group meets every Friday afternoon.
For more information about GriefShare can be found on the church website at www.seasideumc.org, or you may call Jim McNeill at 910 579-2405 (H) or 910-393-9548 (Cell)
The Sunday Breakfast Buffet at Magnolias is back! The hours are from 8:00 am – 12:00 pm. The price for this delicious buffet will remain at $11.95 but the items will change weekly. It will be a hot buffet served with many breakfast favorites, as well as fruit and delicious baked goods!
If your New Year’s resolution is to get fit and exercise more, then the multiple exercise classes offered at the Creekside multi-purpose room and the VAC may just be what you are looking for to get you going in 2020! There are lots of variety, skill levels, instructors and on land and in the water. Plus within our clubs activities page check out biking, bowling, line dancing, pickleball, tai chi and tennis. All great ways to get up, out and moving! Click on a the links below for all the information you will need!
Click HERE for the STMA Clubs Activities page
Click HERE for the STMA Exercise Class Schedule
Yoga is no longer offered at Sea Trail but there are multiple venues close by that offer various levels of yoga. Click on the links below for a class for you:
Take a Day-in-the Yard Course this winter from the Master GardenerSM Volunteers of Brunswick County
The Extension Master GardenerSM Volunteer Association of Brunswick County is offering its annual Day-in-the-Yard course in four locations for Brunswick County residents who want to know more about Coastal Carolina gardening. This seven-week series is taught by Master Gardeners and covers Soils and Fertilization, Lawns and Irrigation, Woody Ornamentals and Pruning, Annuals, Bulbs and Perennials, Diseases Insects and Pesticides, Vegetables and Fruits plus Native Plant Landscaping.
Here are the four locations, days and dates:
- NC Extension Office Training Room, 25 Referendum Drive, Bolivia, NC. Meets Mondays from 6:00 PM to 8:30 PM from February 3 through March 16, 2020.
- St James Community Center, 4136 Southport-Supply Road, SE, St. James. Meets Tuesdays from 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM. from February 4 through March 17, 2020.
- Southwest Brunswick Branch County Library, 9400 Ocean Highway West, Carolina Shores. Meets Wednesdays 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM from March 11 through April 22, 2020.
- Leland Library, 487 Village Rd., Leland. Meets Thursdays from 1:00PM to 3:30PM from February 6 through March 19, 2020.
The cost is $85.00 for the seven-week course. The price includes a copy of Gardening by the Month in Coastal Carolina, a publication of the Extension Master Gardener SM Volunteer Association of Brunswick County.
To register, please contact Gina Britton of the Extension Office at 910 253 2610 between 9 AM and 4 PM weekdays.
Vacation Disaster Preparation Safety Guide
This guide contains plenty of helpful information that many residents that travel abroad might find helpful. The guide could be a great addition to your planning such as:
- Helpful and actionable tips and advice about travel emergencies and disaster awareness whilst travelling or vacationing abroad and what travelers can do to prepare for and stay safe in case of an emergency.
- Key stats and figures about travel safety and natural disasters across the world, including the countries most and least at risk to calamities, different types of natural disasters, the risk of terrorism and political unrest, and examples of major and personal emergencies to prepare for.
- Practical and useful travel safety information such as emergency hotline numbers across the world, what to do in case disaster strikes, advice if you are injured or hospitalized abroad, when to contact your embassy for assistance and other helpful advice.
- A travel safety checklist to help you prepare for emergencies and links to other useful resources and information online about overseas travel safety and disaster preparedness.
Brunswick County residents and property owners can dispose of the following year around.
BRUNSWICK COUNTY LANDFILL
Electronics, fluorescent bulbs & CFL’s, single stream recycling, scrap metal, appliances, propane tanks, oyster shells, tires (limit 5 per resident), used cooking oil, latex paint & cans, textiles, corrugated cardboard, household & automotive batteries, used oil, oil filters, antifreeze, fuel, smoke detectors and cellphones.
Electronics, fluorescent bulbs (4 foot or smaller) & CFL’s, single stream recycling, corrugated cardboard, scrap metal, household batteries, appliances, oyster shells (all locations except Leland), tires (Southport and Leland only, limit 5 per resident), used cooking oil, smoke detectors, textiles and cellphones.
Single-stream recycling and textiles (coming soon).
For location and hours, please visit the Brunswick County Solid Waste & Recycling website at https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/solid-waste-and-recycling/.